|Agreement: Church Province of Saxonia and SELK in Wittenberg|
the Evangelical Church of the Ecclesiastical Province of Saxony (EKKPS)
and the Independent Evangelical Lutheran Church (SELK)
P r e a m b l eAs agreed upon in the Charta Oecumenica adopted by the Association of Christian Churches in Germany (ACK), the EKKPS and the SELK will develop a trustful process of cooperating with one another.
1. Both churches agree to install a regular exchange of information at least once a year on the local level in Wittenberg, in order to inform one another about their respective projects and plans in and for the city.
2. Both churches declare that in an ecumenical spirit they will respectfully take note of each other’s theological positions, particularly in reference to public statements. In the rather sensitive church environment of Wittenberg they will not negatively portray the other church. Rather both churches will seek to be engaged in mutual theological discussions in an appropriate context.
3. In the course of publicity work and outreach efforts in Wittenberg the SELK declines actively to proselytize Christians from other churches but rather will encourage them to retain their spiritual home in their respective parish. However, should a lasting new church relationship be established, then the two churches agree to act in accord with the principles established in the Charta Oecumenica.
4. All worship services are public. In the SELK admission to Holy Communion is regulated in this way: worshipers confessing the true presence of the Body and Blood of Christ in the Sacrament of the Altar may be admitted, subject to the responsible decision of the officiating pastor.
5. The SELK declares that the International Lutheran Welcome Center, planned jointly with the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod (LCMS), is open for guests from all denominations according to scheduling possibilities.
6. In this Welcome Center the SELK will not normally schedule worship services at the same time as regular services in St. Mary’s Church.
7. Activities planned for the area around St. Mary’s (Kirchplatz) should receive prior mutual agreement.
8. Within its own scheduling plans and possibilities the EKKPS agrees to the occasional use of their church buildings for services by the SELK. Such services should not take place in close time proximity to the regular Sunday worship services. The SELK plans to conduct all its church activities, especially worship services, in the house chapel of the Welcome Center.
9. When referring to institutions and publications in public announcements, both churches will make use of the official name used in their church bylaws.
Legally binding decisions regarding use of the Castle Church (the right of usage lies with the Protestant Seminary) must be agreed upon by the Directors of the Seminary, the EKKPS and the SELK.
Signed on June 27th 2008:
The Rt. Rev. Axel Noack (EKKPS Bishop – Magdeburg)
The Rt. Rev. Hans-Joerg Voigt (SELK Bishop – Hannover)